Thursday, 4 January 2007

It seems such a long time ago ...

I can't believe that this was taken less than two weeks ago. On Christmas Eve just before everyone arrived. I was very pleased with my decorations this season but couldn't wait to take everything down after everything went pear shaped last Friday. I just wanted to forget the whole Christmas thing.

It's still horribly hot. One and LGF went to the beach yesterday and she has gone again today but it was too hot for One. Which I'm quite pleased about as he has fair skin, blue eyes, blonde hair and burns, baby, burns. Even with sunscreen. So he dropped in for a while and has gone to visit a mate.

Two spent the night at NGF's place and came home today in a car which registered 40oC and doesn't have airconditioning which works. He is now veged out in front of the telly. We need to go and see the employment agencies and get some social workers involved and arrange for some counselling +/- anti-depressants.

Three didn't work today and jumped in the hot car to go and visit exGF. I really can't fathom that particular relationship. They were an item for about 12 months then split and she has another boyfriend but continues to ring/text/otherwise communicate with Three on a very regular basis at all hours of the day and night. He has had one girlfriend since and exGF was most jealous. I don't miss being a teenager one little bit!!

It has been too hot to do anything today. Himself and I went to a couple of Bunningses looking for deep saucers to place under our indoor plants. And we went to the supermarket. And that's about it. I know I should be doing Stuff but it's too darn hot to even think straight. I cannot, for the life of me, understand people who thrive in these conditions. Give me cold and rainy any day. With some clear, sunny days of about 26-28oC. (btw, I miss the superscript option in opendiary).

And because it's been too hot to do anything I don't have anything to write about!

I'm still looking for the perfect weight loss strategy. This morning I decided to go down the three meals a day, eat fresh, exercise a bit route but the old doubts surfaced about 30 seconds after I got out of bed. I wanted to buy some cereal this afternoon and spent a good 10 minutes trying to decide what to get. Low fat, low carb, high carb, toasted, raw, grains, nuts, fruit, high protein ..... I ended up getting a 5 grain weetbix. Which will be wrong for some reason or another. At least I've gone back to Taylor's Wholemeal bread after giving the family the 'luxury' of white bread whilst the littlies were here.

I am amazed at how much water we collect in our buckets when we shower. I have placed two buckets in each shower and we water plants with the contents. And I tip the cats' water into a jug on the bench when I refresh it for them and also add the runoff when waiting for the tap to run hot or cold. I realise that I should have been doing this before the really strict water restrictions came into play but at least I'm doing something and when the rains finally do arrive I think we will continue with these actions. And the silly thing is, we've never been big waterers in the garden. It lives or not according to what the climate delivers.

Is it me or is there a distinct lack of decent movies this season? I saw Happy Feet and was underwhelmed. The Prestige is a great movie and I look forward to seeing it again on DVD and I'm looking forward to seeing Casino Royale cos I love me some James Bond but other than that? There seems to be a sameness to too many films at the moment. Too much mediocrity and sticking with commercially successful formulae. Appealing to the lowest common denominator. Please feel free to disagree or recommend a good movie but if you do, give proper reasons not just the fact that so and so is in it. 'K? I'll watch just about anything 'cept horror. Or really violent scenes which I often find are unnecessary.

I'm off to check the weather forecast and see when we can expect a cool change. I want to get back onto the golf course. When I took last year's calendar down and checked through for things I need to transfer to this year's I remembered that we played a lot of golf this time last year.

Thanks to those who have left comments. I'm still finding my feet here and it's less lonely when you know someone is reading.






2 comments:

  1. Like you, I've never been much into watering outside. We have a sort of gazebo over the back eck and I catch runoff in some big drums. That waters the potplants and I also use the cats water like you and some rinsing water from plates.

    Here's the trick for writing 38 degrees with a symbol for degree. It's been a while since I used it but seem to remember it works in Blogger. Omit the spaces in my example. 38 & deg ; should show as the number plus the symbol. Omit all spaces between 38 - ;

    This also works to show an accent voil & agrave ; should come up with a proper French word. Similarly e grave or eacute. Again omit spaces.

    When you've found the perfect diet, please let me know. I really believe it's maths. Input of energy must be less than output of energy. It's the output where I fall down.
    Jan

    ReplyDelete
  2. If I were you, I wouldn't leave the new URl up too long at the other place. Just a thought.
    Jan

    ReplyDelete