Chris has no functioning oven. I emailed her a lemon slice recipe which she mentioned on her blog so I have given this and a couple of chocolate slice recipes below.
I have been very productive this morning. I have baked a double batch of sugar cookies and loaf of rye bread. I have done washing and cleaned up the kitchen. I had to change a craft group catch up which took an hour or so of faffing about on the computer and I have read my blogs.
Himself went to Bunnings and got me rose food and spray and some shiny new secateurs to prune said roses. They are really struggling with black spot so need some TLC.
While he was out (in my car *sigh* the kms are rising) he noticed the dashcam wasn't recording. Or something. Of course, it's linked to my phone and it's a bloody pain in the neck. When he comes back from his second trip to Bunnings (doesn't everyone do that) he will want me to try to fix it. We are not the most technological minded couple but try telling him that!
Lunch is over (watermelon and plain yoghurt - so nice on a warm day). Time to put another load of washing on and start weaving.
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
And just like that it's gin o'clock. Tanqueray Sevilla with Schweppes blood orange tonic. Slurp.
Dinner tonight is cold meat and salad. Maybe with a slice of fresh bread. Dessert might be mango and vanilla ice cream. Or a couple of home made biscuits.
I think the double dose of anti-depressants are finally kicking in. I do feel brighter.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
These are Australian recipes. I have tried to convert where possible.
Mocha Fudge Mallow Slice
250g (8oz) Butternut Cookies (I'm sure if you google them you will find an equivalent in your country)
100g (~3.5 oz) butter, melted
Filling
2 tablespoons caster sugar (superfine sugar)
60g (2oz) butter, chopped
1/2 cup cream (I use pouring cream)
1 tablespoon dry instant coffee
200 g (~7oz) white marshmallows, halved
200 g (~7oz) milk chocolate, chopped.
Grease 23cm (9in) square slab cake pan, place strip of baking paper to cover base and extend over 2 opposite sides. Process cookies until finely crushed, add butter, process until combined. Press mixture over base of prepared tin. Refrigerate for 10 minutes.
Filling Combine all ingredients in medium heavy based saucepan , stir over low heat until mixture is smooth.
Pour warm filling over base in pan; refrigerate until set. Cut with a knife dipped in hot water. Store in refrigerator.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Chocolate Caramel Slice
185g (6oz) dark chocolate, melted
20g (slightly less than 1 oz) butter, melted
22 ice cream wafers (google will help if they're called something else!)
20g (see above) butter, extra
3/4 cup sweetened condensed milk
1 1/2 tablespoons golden syrup (this could be tricky - try google)
3 teaspoons smooth peanut butter.
Grease 19cm x 29cm (7" x 11") rectangular slice pan, place strip of foil to cover base and extend over 2 opposite sides. Spread half the combined chocolate and butter over base of prepared pan.
Place half the wafers over chocolate, trim to fit. Refrigerate 10 minutes.
Combine extra butter, condensed milk and golden syrup in medium pan, stir over heat until mixture boils, simmer, uncovered stirring constantly about 3 minutes or until golden caramel colour. Stir in peanut butter. Spread hot caramel over wafers, top with remaining wafers; trim to fit.
Spread remaining chocolate over wavers; refrigerate about 30 minutes or until set. Cut into triangles using a serrated knife.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lemon Coconut Squares
250g (8oz) packet of milk arrowroot biscuits. (cookies to
some – just use a plain sweet cookie like marie if you don’t have the arrowroot)
½ cup sweetened condensed milk
4oz butter
1 teaspoon grated lemon rind
1 cup coconut + 2 tablespoons extra
1 ¾ cups icing sugar mixture (I think this is confectioner’s
sugar)
1 teaspoon soft butter
1 tablespoon lemon juice, approx.
Blend or process biscuits until finely crushed. Combine milk
and butter in medium pan, stir over heat until butter is melted; stand until
warm. Stir in biscuit crumbs, rind and coconut; mix well. Press mixture evenly
over base of greased 7in x 11in rectangular slice tin; refrigerate 1 hour.
Spread slice with lemon icing, sprinkle with extra coconut.
ICING
Sift icing sugar into small heatproof bowl, stir in butter
and enough juice to make a stiff paste. Stir over hot water until spreadable.
Double dose of anti depressants babe? Awww sorry you are not feeling good. I took myself off mine after only a couple of months, and so far so good. Just an odd day here and there when I feel really down. You are a cooking fiend! Those recipes look damn good.
ReplyDeleteWasn't really my choice. Doctor Lovely suggested it might help and reluctantly I have proved she was right! Long standing issue.
DeleteThose recipes look yummy, might try the lemon one, Hubby loves anything Lemon.
ReplyDeleteIt is a favourite here.
DeleteMany thanks for sharing these yummy recipes. Just perfect for Christmas cooking. Amanda 🌸
ReplyDeleteEspecially if it's hot, like it is here.
DeleteWill definitely try the chocolate caramel slice - two of my favourite sweet treats in one mouthful!
ReplyDeleteI heartily agree!
DeleteYes we do multiple trips to bunnings something is always forgotten
ReplyDeleteOr once we start we discover we need something else
Cheers to gin o’clock
Might have to pour myself one too
I collect gin!
Delete