Today was a red letter day. I went to Little Woolie Makes and browsed yarn. Oh so much beautiful yarn. I showed great restraint and just bought what I need for table runners for L'arte. But I am planning future knitting projects.
J and C and I had a lovely lunch and a long chat. A walk in the sun and home to find Himself has been cleaning the floors. Bless him.
When we were walking to the cafe I passed a man wearing what I am sure was Aramis. The popular men's cologne from, what, the 70s? 80s? It took me right back to when Himself used to wear it - usually when dressed in a suit and tie. Then I got thinking about other fragrances from past times. Arpege was very popular but you don't smell it now. 4711 eau de cologne. Youth Dew. Red Door. Blue Grass. Tweed (initially marketed to men). I rarely smell these nowadays but whenever I do I transport back to younger years. Jovan Musk oil for men was another one I loved on Himself. Some of the old standards are still around like Chanel No. 5 but most fragrances these days are marketed by "famous" people and all smell the same. Slightly overbearing and sickly. And, dare I say it, cheap - regardless of the price.
I still prefer the smell of a freshly washed and shaved fella. Beats any fancy stuff in a bottle.
My mother wasn't much of a cook (not that she couldn't; she just didn't enjoy it) but some smells take me back. Andrew mentioned curried mince and mashed potato yesterday. Mum used to make curried mince and rice and the smell when I make it still takes me back to my school days.
The smell of rain after a hot day (it's called petrichor - you're welcome). Spring bulbs. The headiness of ripe summer roses. Wood smoke on Autumn breezes.
Right now I am smelling muddy dog. Not quite the same but I'm sure down the track will bring back memories of 2 much loved hounds.
Smells are powerful time machines
ReplyDeleteTransporting you to different stages of your life
And often out of the blue.
DeleteAdd to good smells, freshly mown grass.
ReplyDeleteIn the early 1980s I walked into a Glenhuntly Road milk bar and the hot young Arab lad raised an eyebrow and said, 'Aramis'? Yep, I was wearing Arimis...probably too much. R has told me now to spray scent into the air above me and then walk through the mist to get the quantity right. Oh dear, memories of wet dog smells.
Ah yes, freshly mown grass. It seems there have been many times over the years we could have crossed paths. My in-laws lived in Glenhuntly. I like the idea of spraying a mist. I must try it.
DeleteSmells....I love that take me back.....
ReplyDeleteprimrose leaves in my garden transport me to picking the wild ones in the hedgerows in the UK.
Fallen leaves in the woods.
Hay in the fields in the evening, take me back to the farms I grew up on.
A freshly bathed baby, my children, grand and great grand babies.
Thanks for the memories.
I remember picking primroses when I stayed with my grandparents in Sussex when I was at boarding school. We don't get them here, sadly. Babies. Oh yes.
DeleteA very nostalgic post, thank you for the memories. I have got out of the habit of wearing any scent (mine was Anais Anais) as we are often asked not to as some people are allergic.
ReplyDeleteAnais Anais was my sister in law's favourite. I think we are all becoming a bit precious. Lightly sprayed scent shouldn't be a problem but some of the modern ones are a bit overwhelming.
ReplyDeleteI used to like the scent of aftershave on men but perhaps that was back in the days of smoking? Like you I now like a clean fresh natural smell. Generally though smells bring back so many memories and sometimes you can see something from years ago that bring back the memory of a smell. One smell I love is garlic and parmesan cheese and I actually HAD to go to Italy because of my love of that smell.
ReplyDelete