Friday, 22 April 2022

45 years

22nd April 1977 Himself and I were married. Many didn't even give us a year but here we are 45 years later. We have had our ups and downs but have muddled through. 

Sometimes we say we were just too lazy to leave but the truth is we can't imagine life without each other.. He drives me up the wall at times (as I do him) but he is my best friend and the thought of life without him terrifies me.

Our three sons are our greatest achievements. They have grown into magnificent young men with families of their own. I am so proud of how they treat their wives and kids and they all have an excellent work ethic. Even if some of this is from growing up and swearing not to be like us, I don't mind! We all swear not to be like our parents in one way or another and then go on to make our own mistakes with our kids. I know I did.

Tonight we are going out to dinner to a pub we used to go to when we lived in Bonbeach. I was going to try somewhere new but didn't want to take the chance and we are going to our local for lunch tomorrow. Sadly, Langwarrin is sadly lacking in decent eateries. Actually, any eateries!

Himself has bought a bottle of champagne to celebrate. I think we deserve it.



17 comments:

  1. How wonderful. Our relationship is much the same. Too lazy to leave and we've been having the same thoughts of when one of us dies. We will be angry with whoever dies for leaving us alone. Then there will be a decision to make about home. A large three bedroom apartment for one person would be weird, but for mine I would stay I think. Either of us have lots of options once the money comes through from the estate. Slightly more than ups and downs, we have had torrid times over the years. Anyway, enjoy your dinner and remember to say, I love you even if it takes a glass or two of champers to get it out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Andrew. We are good at saying I love you. Even if it's through gritted teeth sometimes!@

      Delete
  2. Congratulations. Wow. Well done to both of you. Yes crack open a bottle and enjoy
    I think hubby and I fall into the too lazy to leqve category too lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Angela. They do have their uses, though, so handy to keep hanging around.

      Delete
  3. There must be something in the air tonight- here’s another saying ‘oh the things I’d have to do if I was to leave’. Those days are over…..accepting that neither of us is perfect was hard to learn (for me anyway)
    My dad said ‘go and enjoy yourselves’ when he gave The Golfer the nod, my mother didn’t think it would work….here we are 61yrs later - yes I was a child bride 😊. I’d love to be able to tell her it did work.

    Hope you enjoy your night out…you don’t have to cook or help with the washing up! Oh and you’ll be with the love of your life ❤️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have done extremely well, Cathy. You must have been 10 when you married!

      Delete
  4. Congratulations. Enjoy the time you have together, believe it is no fun being alone, after being married for 50 years.
    I was lucky and found someone else to enjoy my later years with.
    Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You were lucky, Pat. It sounds like you are perfect for each other.

      Delete
  5. Congratulations. Your words strike a chord with me too. He drives me crazy as I do him, but I also cannot imagine life without him.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is quite an accomplishment in this day and age. Congratulations and enjoy the champagne!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations on your anniversary. I'll never make it that long. My hubby is my second husband but I like him a lot better than first:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is all that matters. My in laws were married for 71 years when he died and he was a bastard. She would have been much better off without him.

      Delete
  8. Congratulations on 45 years of marriage. If I was still married it would be coming up to 48 years! I've been with Stu now for 20 years though so that's amazes me constantly :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I admire people who move on from unhappy marriages.

      Delete
  9. Congratulations on your 45th anniversary. We will celebrate our 42nd in November. (I came over from Andrew's blog)

    ReplyDelete