Monday, 18 April 2022

Easter Monday

Until sometime in the 19th century people celebrated Easter week. It was then reduced to Monday. Even some card carrying Christians don't know that it's not just an excuse for a long weekend but at one time held religious significance. It was on the Monday that women went to the tomb looking for Jesus and an angel appeared and declared "he is risen". This was then followed by many sightings of Jesus by his apostles and others until Ascension Day, 40 days after Easter Sunday, when he, well, ascended into heaven.

We went to Three and Amy's last night for dinner. Oh my lordy lordy it was amazing. Butter chicken that had so much depth of flavour and was so tender and morish. Served with naan, rice and raita. Alice sat at the head of the table and chomped on pieces of naan. It was a battle between falling asleep and her naan. 

Eventually sleep won and Amy put her to bed. About 20 minutes later she woke and appeared most indignant that she was no longer at the table chowing down on naan. She was brought back to the table and was happy to be in company. She is a sociable child, as is her sister. 

Both girls had been given new pyjamas for Easter. Sally was distraught when she spilled water on hers so a quick toss in the dryer and tragedy averted.

Today is Ivy's 3rd birthday so we popped around to One and Eb's. Lily (nearly 5) was having a breakdown because she easily gets overwhelmed and doesn't like Ivy being in the limelight.. She eventually calmed down and we did crafty stuff together which was lovely. We gave Ivy a couple of books which she seemed to really like. You can't beat Bluey*. The other grandparents left when we arrived so we could have time with them. Long story there for another day.

*Bluey is one of those kids cartoon shows that entertains the adults as much as the kids. Google it. It's now a world wide sensation. Go Aussie.



The painting is coming along well. There is a wall that needs to be done which has a very large, heavy dresser in front of it. I suggested painting around said dresser. Oh, foolish woman! Tomorrow I will empty all the glassware, cookware, tableware and other sundry stuff so it can be moved, painted behind and moved back never to be moved again.

Pizza for dinner tonight. My makeshift kitchen was moved for painting purposes and we can't be bothered trying to plug in the microwave!


9 comments:

  1. I’m with you on the dresser. If it’s never moved why bother
    My girls love bluey and I do too.
    Our Greek Easter is next week so we get to crucify and bring back to life Jesus all over again
    Kinda feel sorry for him

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Poor old bloke does get put through the wringer a bit!

      Delete
  2. We had a few years of “time for one set of grandparents and separate time for another”. Strangely the four grandparents have never been close…..just nodding acquaintances at family functions. I’ve tried, oh how I’ve tried - come to the conclusion it’s their loss….I’m a really nice person once you get to know me but you do have to meet me half way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The other grandparents are lovely but I find her really over the top with the kids. She sees them almost daily.

      Delete
  3. A niece told me to watch Bluey and that I would enjoy it. I haven't yet. I am stuck in the past with TroTro and Dora.

    To this day R doesn't know I did not paint one part of the corrugated iron roof of our Balaclava house. Later I realised that the roof could be seen from the elevated platform at Balaclava Station, so I always made sure he didn't look in that direction. We were so close to having enough kitchen floor tiles somewhere but not quite close enough, we left under the fridge and dishwasher untiled. Obviously, I agree with you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If it can't be seen why bother. I am intrigued how you kept R from looking in that particular direction.

      Delete
    2. We didn't catch the train often and there was always something interesting in another direction to point out. I thing an apartment building has now blocked the view of the sole mustard coloured roof among the more traditional green that I applied.

      Delete
  4. I can understand Lily, I get overwhelmed easily too, but I don't think anyone in my family knew that. I'm glad Lily has you to understand.

    Alice is a beautiful little girl. They're so sweet when they're that age, battling to stay awake.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She has very intense emotions and at not quite 5 finds it hard to deal with. Her parents are great with her. I believe yesterday was triggered by feelings of jealousy towards her sister as it was her birthday and Lily felt left out. At least nowadays it is recognised that kids have feelings and emotions like adults do.

      Delete