Friday, 15 April 2022

Good Friday

Good Friday comes from the obsolete meaning of the word good - pious or holy. As in when the bible is referred to as "The Good Book" it doesn't mean it's a ripper of a book, nor is it a play on "God's book". It means the holy book.

I am an atheist but I have been devout in my youth and religions fascinate me.

Last night we watched a movie on Netflix called 'The Merger' about a fictional Australian country town, it's ailing football team and refugees. It was a gentle movie with some good laughs and some thought provoking bits. It was filmed in and around Wagga Wagga which has taken in a lot of refugees (as I learned when I was doing my migrant English training).

"Meet me in the Middle of the Air" a song by Paul Kelly (google him, he is an amazing Australian singer-songwriter) featured in the movie and it got me looking for renditions on YouTube. There are heaps but I really liked this one to share with you as it gives a timely reminder of what Melbourne went through during our really strict lockdowns. 



In case you don't recognise it, the song is based on the 23rd psalm and "arranged", if you like, by Paul Kelly.

Today Himself did some more painting in the kitchen. It is looking good. I weaved (wove?) a sample place mat using fabric. It is in the washing machine being wet finished and if it works I will definitely make more. A quick and easy weave.

The cats names today are Maxi (Max for short) and Mini. Because he is a maxi mog and she is a mini mog. I don't think they really care what they are called as long as they get fed frequently. Max growled at Mini today as she was eating some cheese and he wanted in. It was quite funny.


8 comments:

  1. The boys voice is hauntingly beautiful
    the pics of melb empty are strangely mesmerising, and yes remind us of
    How it was for so very long
    Hopefully we won’t ever need to do that again

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wholeheartedly agree, Angela. How quickly we forget.

      Delete
  2. Beautiful song, thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I consider myself more agnostic but definitely more swayed towards atheist. I don't talk religion to people as many of my friends are Christian. I was bought up a strict Roman Catholic which probably explains my belief now! I'm looking forward to seeing the finished kitchen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lynda, I was agnostic for a while but now consider myself atheist. Husband identifies as a retired Catholic which I think says more about his experiences at the hands of the church than the beliefs themselves.

      Delete
  4. I think wove is judged as archaic but it doesn't grate like weaved.

    Max and Mini...there used to be a tv show called Mack and Myer. Ok, irrelevant really.

    My annual Good Friday tradition is to visit a shopping street and watch as incredulous people find the supermarket doors firmly locked. This year's was Pier Street, Altona.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Andrew, I love your perverse sense of humour. What a wonderful way to spend Good Friday. Next year I shall try to remember.

      Delete