Her mum is teaching her about good and bad promises and on the way home from school she was talking about pinkie promises which to a 5 year old are inviolable.
This became a discussion between Sally and me about when you can break a promise. She agrees that if you absolutely have to, it's ok. I said that if anyone made her promise to keep a secret about something that makes her feel uncomfortable (and yes, her vocabulary is advanced enough for her to have that concept) she must tell a grown up family member (which got me thinking about how many kids have been abused by family). She reminded me that family aren't always there so she said she would tell a grown up she trusts like a teacher. Bright kid.
It is so sad that our society has so much suspicion and anxiety around children and their safety and innocence.
It's good that subjects like sexual abuse (and, of course, any abuse) can now be talked about and the stigma is on the perpetrator and not the victim, and children on the whole are listened to. (I realise this isn't the case for every child but on the whole I think we're doing better than we were 50 years ago).
Online child grooming and the proliferation of child pornography is terrifying. The internet has a lot to answer for.
*********
The stone mason came today and measured up for our bench top. He is of an Asian background and his English wasn't the best but it was obvious he was taken with the dogs! He will be the one installing the bench so Murphy will have a fan that day.
I set out to take the dogs on a long walk but they were both a bit pully and I really didn't feel like a long walk so we went to the dog park. This is the first time I have taken them by myself and I was a bit concerned but they were great. They played with other dogs and came when I called them. Phew. A huge relief as that was my biggest issue with taking them to that park.
Sally is fundraising for an event to be held tomorrow. She was second highest fundraiser in the whole school. Amy and Pat's work colleagues, Granny and Grumpy and crafty friends responded to the call and she is currently in the lead. We will need to keep a close watch on Olly and hope that he has reached the limit of his family and friends. Competitive much? Clever though, that people are able to see where their kid is on the ladder.
It is sad that kids have to be monitored so carefully. I think that started in the 1980's as my own kids had a pretty carefree childhood. I'm not a big fan of school fundraisers as the items the kids are asked to sell are often over priced. But, needs must, I guess.
ReplyDeleteI agree, Chris. It must be awful to live with the constant fear whether justified or not.
DeleteSally's fundraiser is a sponsored fun run.
Abuse happens anywhere and everywhere sadly, no matter how hard we try to protect them. My grandson was assaulted by his own mom. A girlfriend of mine was raped by a teen friend of the family when she was only 3; she's in her late fifties and has never gotten over it.
ReplyDeleteI looked at some of your old posts. Your dogs are beautiful.
Thank you Pixie. We are biased but think they are rather gorgeous! I agree with you about abuse and it often is closer to home than we would care to think. You are doing a great job with your grandson.
DeleteI don’t know if abuse is more prevalent these days. Or we are all so aware now
ReplyDeleteI’m glad you and that talk with your granddaughter. I remember telling my children if it made them feel sick in the tummy it was their body telling them that it was bad and if they could get away to leave and definitely to tell an adult they trusted about it
Not much else we can do I guess