Tuesday, 26 April 2022

Tuesday twitterings

As you may remember I have to play "the looking for work until I reach pension age" game.

This involves regular meetings with my job provider. Today I finally felt my latest one heard me after my last appointment with her when I was really spaced out coming off my previous anti-depressant. She suggested I apply for an exemption which will give me some reprieve from job searching - no guarantee I will get it as Centrelink are very picky (her words). Regardless, from now on we will have phone appointments and I will keep applying for jobs and hope like crazy nobody wants to employ me. It is a pain but it is better than many countries. 

I do think the system could somehow take into account people in my situation and I am sure there are many in my age group. Women who married someone a bit older and therefore don't qualify for the age pension when the partner does. The only option at the moment is the dole. I think we are the last of the generation where women often didn't return to work after having kids so it's not as if they would be setting a long term precedent. 

When I got home from the appointment I applied for 7 jobs. 

Our microwave is still on backorder at Ikea. I had a brainwave which would involve a bigger microwave (in stock) and some fiddling around with drawer fronts. I think it would work. Himself has his doubts. I wonder if that is because it was MY brainwave and what would I know!

Tomorrow my car gets its first annual service. I have been given a list of things to mention (see above comment re Himself). K will pick me up and we will have a pottery morning of coffee and craft. 

Brother and fave sister in law have arrived in Italy. He sent an email full of optimism and excitement. I wish I could talk to her. I feel she might have a different perspective.

At least she knows where she is. 







12 comments:

  1. Yes, our social security is not at all tailored to individual circumstances. You either pay an advocate or you push back hard yourself.

    Your SiL is in Italy. She needs to make the best of it. The Australia graphic is funny.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She is in Italy with my brother. There's the problem.

      Delete
  2. Hopefully the system becomes a tad easier for you
    I hate dealing with Centerlink. Thank goodness I don’t have to anymore Pretty sure by the time I’m old enough to get a pension. There probably won’t be one

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There will always be a pension, Angela. We need to stop the greedy wealthy from hiding their assets.

      Delete
  3. Depression still isn't viewed as a real disease. Not only is it not viewed as a real disease, people are often made to feel that they are just malingering. Maybe one day there will be a good treatment for depression, I hope.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly. Even though there have been advances it is still not understood and the public need more education.

      Delete
  4. That looks about the size and shape of another country that starts with "AUS". Am I right or didn't I get the joke?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many people confuse Australia with Austria. You got the joke!

      Delete
  5. I had to ‘play the game’ many years ago……just before The Golfer retired they removed a payment known as Partners Pension, I wasn’t working then so as I wasn’t quite pensionable age had to sign on just like you. Fill in the diary to work your hours - luckily I managed to get one of the best friendliest in house Centrelink case managers there was…..among other suggestions she asked did I have grands at kinder, go and volunteer there as that counted. Various other places I was already volunteering at counted towards the hours as well. A phone call now and again- a quick on site visit to give my ‘diary’ a cursory check - never a suggestion to go for an interview because as she said, the jobs weren’t there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cathy, you were very lucky. Nowadays you don't even deal with Centrelink. It's all outsourced.

      Delete
  6. That sucks. How long to go until you qualify for the pension?

    ReplyDelete