Do you have songs that will always bring tears to your eyes?
I made compilation of music we listen to when we play scrabble and these are in it.
I am feeling a bit blue today. Probably because it has turned cold and wet again so I shall share my bleak mood with you through some good (I think) music.
It's fairly obvious from the lyrics why these songs are so poignant but I also think the performers create that welling up of emotion.
As one who had a difficult relationship a parent this one touches me deep down.
A bit of a cliché these days but I still love her voice.
This one means a lot to Himself. And considering we may never hear our John sing again it is especially precious. This recording shows what a wonderful, generous performer John Farnham is.
And for a bit of light-heartedness here are the Marsh Family again. Who doesn't love a bit of Jesus Christ Superstar especially when transformed like this. I think they nailed it even though I don't really know much about UK politics.
I always change the channel when I hear that first song
ReplyDeleteYes I had and still have a strained relationship with my parents so I’m not ready to listen to those words.
The rose and help are both fantastic songs. Johnny Farnams version is a better version than the Beatles. Theirs is just too fast for a song that’s sad I think
John Lennon always wanted it played at the slower pace.
DeleteThe Living Years is a hard song to listen to.
I love that first song with Mike and the Mechanics. I also love Father and Son from Cat Stevens. I have many songs that hit home for me. One is Adele's Million Year's Ago... the line "I miss my mother" and a favourite is "Moment of Forever" by Willie Nelson. Lots of nostalgia in my favourite songs clearly.
ReplyDeleteAdele is another singer who pours emotion into her music.
DeleteOf course I really like Bette Midler but the Marsh Family was just brilliant. I wonder how they will go on as the children age.
ReplyDeleteThe girls' voices are developing beautifully. The boys seem to be OK as their voices break. Such talent.
DeleteI love the Marsh family too. I'd never heard of John Farnham, he has a lovely voice.
ReplyDeleteMy pick for sad songs, R.E.M. Everybody Hurts, and Christmas in the Trenches by John McDermott.
Hope your day got better. Sending hugs.
John Farnham has been an Aussie icon for years. His music from the '80s is just amazing. Google You're the Voice.
DeleteI'm off to search for Christmas in the Trenches. I know I've heard it but can't remember it.
Good ones! Thanks for sharing - they made my day.
ReplyDeleteGlad you enjoyed them, Chris.
DeleteI have never commented on your blog, having just recently *found* you through Ms. Moon........ I'm sorry you are have a bit of a blue day, but we all do.....and we know they must just be felt, and then hopefully fade into sunlight. I must remark on the music you chose to share.....it's amazing what music can evoke in both space and time....... Mike and Mechanics did that for me today. Thank you!
ReplyDeleteSusan M from Calif.
Hi Susan. Sorry I have only just seen this response. Glad I could give you a music hug!
Delete