The woman who is arranging all of this had the idea at Christmas and approached a few Men's Sheds. From that she has organised quite a few of these sessions and if today is anything to go by, they should all be a roaring success.
Men's Sheds were started as a means to addressing men's mental health and social isolation. As such I firmly believe they should remain a male only environment. In the same way that women have their spaces - usually arranged on an ad hoc basis by the women themselves - where they feel safe, men need these spaces, too. Especially as they get older, miss the male camaraderie of work, recover from broken relationships, abuse, etc. So to be invited into their space to have them share their knowledge of tools and woodwork was very special.
I have a list of what I need for my basic tool kit. Himself says I can just use his. No, no and no.
I am going to build a breadbox as my project over the next 5 weeks. I fear I might have been a bit overenthusiastic but we shall see. I might have to finish it after the course has ended but hopefully I will have the skills. And the tools.
As we were finishing up I was waiting to ask one of the blokes about the timber I will need. Deb, the organiser, saw Himself standing in the kitchen waiting for me to finish and called him over to ask the question. Himself came over and rested his chin on my shoulder as Deb asked him what timber I should use. I then realised she had no idea who he was. She was a bit taken aback at the friendliness of the men in the shed!
Dinner tonight is brussels sprouts cooked with bacon, garlic and onion with a glaze of mustard and white wine.
Dinner sounds good! Hope that the breadbox is equally nice.
ReplyDeleteDinner was delicious. The box remains to be seen!
DeleteYou've made me wonder about Men's Sheds. Maybe they could include women who have similar interests and feel the same desire for simple community connections. Of course Men's Sheds would need to be renamed or maybe not.
ReplyDeleteHowever you dress up brussels sprouts, thanks for not inviting me to dinner.
It is unfortunate that they used the term "shed" as it suggests that all they focus on is tool stuff. They were designed to be a place for men to go and talk about stuff and generally bond. There is a place for workshops for all in the community but I don't think it should be the Men's Sheds.
DeleteBrussels sprouts are much maligned.
I have a fondness for power tools. I'm not overly strong so any help is deeply appreciated and empowering I must say. Good on you. A bread box sounds like an excellent idea. If you can knit a sock, you can make a bread box.
ReplyDeleteThanks for your confidence, Pixie. Considering how long it took me to knit a sock, the bread box could be some way away.
DeleteInteresting notion, men's sheds. Like the pub without alcohol. Men do like clubs, I think. And older men who have often relied on women to organize their social lives may need that help if they become single for whatever reason. I like the idea.
ReplyDeleteI think a lot of women are grateful for the Men's sheds as it gives them a chance to get the husband out from under their feet!
DeleteI think the idea of Men's Sheds is terrific and I also think that the idea of women learning the skills that men have traditionally been taught is also good. Yay for you! I hope we get pictures, first of your toolbox and then of your breadbox.
ReplyDeleteI will keep you posted. The woman that started it is a young single woman who realised that women need these skills. Good on her.
DeleteOh how exciting. I can’t wait to see what you create
ReplyDeleteI am excited about getting my own power drill!
DeleteHa ha she thought he was flirting with you.."you have still got it" lol. Peta
ReplyDelete