Tuesday, 4 October 2022

Unusual

 For those of you that don't know The Magic Pudding is a classic Australian children's book about a pudding that, not matter how often it (he?) is eaten, always grows back. This bloody sock is like that. No matter how much I knit I seem to need to keep knitting. 

I have frogged it and I have Tinked it. Tink. Knit backwards. 

Anyway J and I went to our favourite yarn shop in Hastings where we sat and knitted (she crocheted) and nattered with random people. It was lovely. Until I realised I had fucked the sock up yet again. I was ready to send it to the naughty corner and even bought another ball but came home, took a deep breath (and a glass of wine) and decided to frog and  tink it back to nearly the beginning and try, try, try again. 

We had lunch, a really good chat about friendships, ageing and loneliness (not as depressing as it sounds) and I came home feeling happy.

Himself and I played a game of scrabble. We used to play a lot but I realised that we hadn't had a game since Jan '21. This will change. To sit outside with a glass of something, nibbles and the game was a precious thing. Hopefully we will reignite this tradition.

The dude from the plant shop came to advise us on the back yard. It took a while before he realised I don't want feature plants or neat borders. I want a bush block. He said I am unusual. 

That's me!!


12 comments:

  1. I think I read you mucked up the sock again.
    I love the grumpy Magic Pudding.
    Friendships, ageing and loneliness. Nightmare subjects but to be ignored.
    I thought the dude was only coming to advise you on a lemon tree?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The dude sold us a lemon tree which is now happily in a half wine barrel. The back garden needs to be a bush block. I must re-read the Magic Pudding. I wonder if Sally would like it or is it too old fashioned for the youth of today?

      Delete
  2. I cannot play scrabble with Husband. He takes far too long thinking. And he is much better than me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Liz, mine is the same. I either bring out the egg timer or have another task going at the same time. Much knitting and crocheting has been done playing scrabble. I used to be better than him and gave him lots of leeway and hints. Silly me.

      Delete
    2. Same here.....I stopped playing it years ago with husband, but we do sometimes play" Bananagrams"...similar but has to be fast. Even better with more people.

      Delete
    3. I shall investigate this. Fast is good!

      Delete
  3. And your story sounds like the magic porridge pot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Except the magic pudding doesn't overdo things!!

      Delete
  4. Sounds like with this sock it's becoming you or it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had to look up bush block, sounds like an excellent idea. Naturalization is a big thing here too. Makes sense really.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We need to plant what nature knows works rather than what our hearts desire.

      Delete