Sunday, 9 October 2022

Swooped

This morning I went out to check the vege garden. I wasn't really aware of my surroundings and as I lifted the lid on the vege pod I heard a whoosh and felt something brush past me. The next thing a juvenile magpie fluttered out from under the pod and made its way to the fence on the other side of the garden, hitting it as it landed. 

I had been swooped by its parent. It continued to swoop me even as I apologised profusely. We have had magpies in the garden since we moved here and I have never been swooped before but obviously I got too close to junior. I think they are nesting in the garden over the road.

Regardless I shall have to be more aware when I check the veges.

This isn't my photo but you get the idea ...



I do love them, though. They are striking birds (no pun intended) and their song is delightful. This gives you a little sample. When they are all singing together it is a beautiful sound.


We caught up with Two and his lot in Mornington. There is a good playground and we had coffee and cupcakes in a local cafe - of which there are dozens. And wine bars and cocktail bars and restaurants of every cuisine. It is quite the trendy seaside town. 

It was a brief catch up but so good to see them all. Mads is 34 weeks pregnant and glowing although getting tired now, and looking forward to her maternity leave. I finished the blanket and they seemed pleased with it. I shall show you tomorrow.

Now. It is gin o'clock.

6 comments:

  1. Your home and maggies need to realise that and get used to you. When we mention magpies, European and English think of a bird not nearly as beautiful and such wonderful songsters as our magpies.
    You found somewhere to park in Mornington on a Sunday? Well done that driver.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am normally very polite to the maggies and we have a good relationship but I did get too close to the youngster. I hope they have forgiven me or it could be a very trying few weeks.
      Around the back (beachside) of the playground was heaps of parking. A short walk to Main Street.

      Delete
  2. Our magpies don't have nearly as nice a song.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rT1YbMkp1w8

    ReplyDelete
  3. Magpies aren't very nice birds though. I suppose that might just be British ones!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, I do love that song! We have no birds here that sound like that as far as I know.

    ReplyDelete