It was a stunning spring day today. We got up relatively early and went to Bunnings. I bought some herbs, another tomato, some flower seeds and seedlings and some cat grass and pots for said grass. We also went to Pet Barn for shitty litter and cat fud.
We came home and dumped the stuff and went to a local nursery to look at trees. We came home with a dwarf Eureka lemon and a visit from the nursery dude to come and look at our back yard to work out what would work best. It will cost us $50 but is worth it to avoid wasting even more money on plants that don't work. Been there and done that.
I wanted a couple of pots and Himself found more than I thought we had so back to Bunnings we went to get more plants and potting mix. We caught up with Three and his lot at a shop across the road as he was buying new boots for his new job on Monday. He had also had a proper hair cut and looked quite the man. Unfortunately it turned out that Sally had managed to get a sliver of his hair stuck in the skin on her tummy which resulted in much screaming in the shop as Amy removed it. We didn't know what it was at the time but when I said it looked like she had brushed against something and then rubbed her tummy she announced "my daddy's hair" which made perfect sense.
Home finally to plant everything and this is the view from the footpath looking down the vege bed to the pod at the end.
In the rusty rustic wheelbarrow I have planted portulaca seedlings and swan river daisy seeds. The portulaca is a guaranteed riot of colour. The daisies are new to me but if they make it will add a blue dimension.
In the half wine tub behind the wheelbarrow is the lemon with a couple of marigold seedlings to deter pests and some sage. In the pot to the right is a rosemary and some thyme .The pot to the left of the lemon has 4 sunflowers grown from seed. They grow to over 5' tall so not quite sure how they will go!
In these pots are dill, oregano, mint, coriander and, of course, parsley. Can't have sage, rosemary and thyme without parsley can we? The long pot has spring onion seeds and tucked away are three small pots with chive seeds.
A cherry tomato plant with marigolds for safe keeping. I transplanted a tomato from the vege pod into another one of these containers. I had better get at least one bloody tomato this year!
My spuds. I swear they grow inches overnight. The top container has been filled to cover the growth. The other two will be topped up in the next day or so. Then we wait.
The only thing I planted in the actual ground was a jap pumpkin.
The vege pod is looking good. I have radishes ready to go and lettuce leaves ready to pick.
Peas, peas and more peas. Front to back are sugar snap, normal peas and then snow peas. The tubs underneath are incubating more bloody tomatoes and some cucumbers.
I planted red and blue petunias and more marigolds in the two containers near the front door. The roses are coming along gangbusters and so far the aphids have stayed away. Lots of buds so I am hoping for a good display soon. So many people have commented on my roses and now we have the black chip bark they stand out even more.
I even potted up mum's rose. This is a rose that she took with her when they went into the nursing home. It sat, neglected, in its pot but struggled on. When she died Dr Teacher took it and nursed it back to life and took a cutting for me. I have also neglected the damn thing but today took pity on it. It has some signs of life so it will either reward my kindness with flowers or turn up its toes completely. Seeing as it was mum's, either option is a good bet.
Tomorrow I have to tackle the play room junk depository as Himself has someone coming on Monday to give us a free market appraisal. I don't care what she says, I am not moving!! And I have told him that my craft area is not being tidied. At least it got him to tidy all his crap off the decking and make it look presentable. Something I have been asking him to do for ever.
Fish and chips for dinner tonight. I think we have deserved it.










Great job on the garden! I don't have any edible plants growing but if I did, it would be lettuce. I used to grow those years ago and it was great to go out and pick whatever I needed for a salad. We are away from home too much these days to have too much garden.
ReplyDeleteFresh lettuce leaf is the best. You could grow a little pot in the motor home!
DeleteWhoa, lady! You are going to have a beautiful garden this year! Your hard work will pay off!
ReplyDeleteMary, I hope so. I think I will have to cover the tomatoes to keep birds and possums away.
DeletePoor Sally. My hairdresser said it happens to her too sometimes when she's cutting hair.
ReplyDeleteYour yard is huge and it sounds like you'll have lots of veg in short order. Why does your husband want to sell the house?
Human hair is very sharp.
DeleteOur front yard is huge. It's a bit of a waste really but the vege bed will make a difference. I love lawn but don't really see the point when the land could be used productively.
He doesn't want to sell. We have done a fair bit since we bought it 5 years a go and I think he wants to get an idea of market value.
Your going to be eating fresh veggies very soon
ReplyDeleteIf this weather starts to warm up. It was lovely yesterday but it’s not looking great at the moment
I think we will have lettuce and radish tonight!
Delete