Thomas comes onto my bed in the mornings and snuggles in. He is always very purry and affectionate. Today he has followed me all around the house and settled in whenever I stop for more than a minute or two. I went out for lunch and when I got home he was still curled up at the foot of the bed where I left him but as soon as I came and sat down here he was on the couch nearby. I am very fond of this cat!
We went to the bbq yesterday. The food was better but still drowned in oil. At least the meat was tender although lacking in flavour. We chatted about a few things and their imminent wedding. She showed me her dress which is lovely. Two offered to film the day for them and they have accepted so they will get a lovely DVD to remember the occasion and Two will have something to add to his portfolio.
Himself has gone to Sydney. Last year he would leave late on Tuesday evening and return on Friday evening. Now, he is going up early (VERY early!) on Monday mornings and returning either Thursday or Friday. This week he will be back on Thursday because Friday is Australia Day (a national public holiday - yay!) but next week he will probably be up for the whole week. Several people have suggested that he move to Sydney. Whilst he realises that this is not an option at the moment as we couldn't leave Two and Three to fend for themselves in Melbourne and I wouldn't expect them to move to Sydney, I think that he is really torn. The thing is that even if the boys weren't an issue I don't want to move. I have friends and family in Melbourne and I have a job that, while I whinge about it a lot, I do enjoy and feel comfortable doing. And I have my cats and my garden and just my general comfort zone. If the kids were little it would be different as it's easier to meet people and make friends through kindergartens, schools and sporting clubs. But at my age it would be very difficult for me to make new friends and I would miss the ones I have in Melbourne. Not to mention my family. The current situation isn't ideal for Himself, though, living 4-5 days a week in a hotel room in a part of Sydney that shuts down once business hours are over. And I think that his colleagues have forgotten that he is actually commuting from Melbourne and has noone to talk to after hours. He has to eat in pubs or the hotel restaurant, doesn't have internet access and gets bored and lonely. Not conducive to a healthy frame of mind. He is considering renting a studio apartment which would probably cost the company less than the hotel. Then he could cook for himself, invite someone over for a beer if he wanted, even get the internet connected. At least he would be returning to the same place each week and could make it a bit more personal. And I could go up and stay now and again. At his age he can't afford to be choosy about work and he really enjoys what he does so it looks as if Sydney will be his place of work for the foreseeable future. We just need to make his living arrangements as comfortable as possible.
I caught up with the Mermaid and Jenny from golf for lunch. They knew each other when their eldest sons were at primary school but fell out of touch and since I met Jenny we have had a couple of lunches together. Today's was a bit strained. I'm not sure why but I think they have changed a lot since they knew each other and may no longer have the same sort of things in common. Their lives have changed a lot since then, too. The meal I had was bloody awful. I ordered penne with bacon and chicken in a napoli sauce with capiscum and some cheese. I ate the pasta and the capsicum but the chicken and bacon were not very nice at all. I know I should have complained and returned it but they had already stuffed up my order by bringing me a risotto to start with (that would probably have been better!) and it is a pub, when all is said and done. The Mermaid had the potato rosti with smoked salmon and I should have gone for that and just worked it into my WW day. As it is, I felt unsatisfied after lunch and decidedly disgruntled. I haven't pigged out and am in the process of cooking a healthy dinner but I have opened a bottle of a very nice cab sav and am savouring that. And this isn't the behaviour that will get my weight off. But I am in a very unsettled place at the moment and the wine is helping. I know, it's not the answer!!
Two went to the doctor today to discuss his emotional and psychological problems. I think he was hoping for some pills to provide a quick fix but the GP has him coming back next week to conduct a mental health assessment which will enable him (Two, not the GP!) to receive 5 sessions with a psychologist under medicare. This is good. The GP also reassured Two that he was on the right track by dealing with his dope smoking and bourbon drinking and that he would really benefit from some counselling. And I must admit that Two does seem a bit brighter these days. And is able to vocalise his concerns that he will self harm again.
Three is at work. His TAFE course starts in a couple of weeks and I really hope that he enjoys it.
Dinner's ready (it's just Two and me at the moment) and Law'n'Order's on cable so I'm going to settle in for a good evening.
Tomorrow is another day. Another opportunity to get this weight loss thing worked out. And a day when I get my style consultation.
I'll tell you all about it ...
Your husband's deal in Sydney sounds god-awful. I definitely vote for the studio apartment. You could go up and make it homey, with pictures of you and the boys and stuff. Evening after evening with nothing but the tv is just depressing.
ReplyDeleteYour kitty is so sweet. My Nash is the same way. Always right there, "helping" me, or just being with me.
I often wonder how Himself (and you) deal with his work arrangement. Hope you work something out that suits everyone.
ReplyDelete