Saturday was Australia Day and today we have a public holiday. I love Australia's commitment to the holiday long weekend. We will have another in March (Labour Day), another in June (Queen's Birthday), a holiday in April (Anzac Day) but that is always on 25th April, regardless of the day of the week so if it falls on a weekend, so be it. In November we have the Melbourne Cup (the first Tuesday in November and many take the day before off work so it's a really long weekend). Of course we have Easter and Christmas and New Year's Day.
For as long as I have lived in Australia (36+ years) I had never found a great sense of nationalism on what is meant to be our National day. At the bicentennial celebrations of 1988 there was a stirring of national pride but I have found over the recent years that more and more people are celebrating Australia Day with a sense of pride. Kids (OK, young adults!) greet each other with Happy Australia Day. Unheard of when I was their age. We were at a barbecue yesterday and the 24 year old son wished everyone a Happy AD for yesterday.
So today I am clearing out the linen cupboard and Himself will do some patching in the boys' bathroom.
My feet are better. Still sore but getting less so. I might go for a walk this evening and will get back on the X trainer tomorrow.
And if you want a giggle go and read Miz S's entry about her Very Bad Cat. There is something about owning (or, more correctly, being owned by) a cat that inevitably results in a loss of human dignity somewhere in the relationship.
No comments:
Post a Comment