In this tree (the yellower one) ...

was a possum's nest ...

... a bloody stupid possum, if you ask me, considering that we have two cats. The other day we were sitting outside and Tom was keenly watching the tree (and, we realised later, the nest as we didn't know it was there). Suddenly a baby (well, probably more an adolescent) possum fell from the tree and landed at Tom's feet. Upon which Tom grabbed the poor creature and disappeared over the fence.
The possum didn't make it.
A few days later I came home to two cats locked in the house and Himself informing that another possum (bloody teenage independence) had attempted to fly the nest (possums can't fly).
I picked him (it has to be a him) up and put him back onto the tree. But he wanted to climb back down ...

I poked him until he headed in the general direction of the nest ...

But, sadly, he was determined to leave the nest and explore the big, wide world ...

... only this is a dead end and after returning him to the nest once more I came out some time later to find him dead in this hole. And the cats were still inside so I don't know what caused his ultimate demise.
RIP possum boys. I hope your parents choose their house better next year. Although we won't be here!
Up here the possums consider little Sweetpea, an Abyssinian, to be fair game and would make mincemeat of her. We put up with rowdy nightly parties which invariably end in a big bar brawl.
ReplyDeletePoor silly possums. Life's a bitch and then you die.
ReplyDelete