Monday, 3 July 2023

A big day

This is the park at the Buchan Caves Reserve.

We had a picnic lunch (after cleaning possum poo off the picnic tables - you know you're in Australia when ...)


We had half an hour or so to wait and Sally took advantage of the playground



We then walked to the entrance of the Royal Cave. I got Sally to sit at the exact same spot her Dad and uncles did back in 1997.


In typical Sally fashion she made friends with another girl and they ran around the hills while we waited for the tour to start.

As we walked into the caves I remembered that I suffer from claustrophobia. The initial tunnel is narrow and shallow and as you walk in the atmosphere becomes, well, cave like. A constant 17*C temperature and very high humidity. There were a lot of twisty narrow passages (Himself commented that he wouldn't want to be calorie challenged) but we had an excellent guide and the group was friendly.

This formation looks like water. It is huge. (click on the pics to really get a sense of how amazing the place is)



The caves are over 40 million years old. 
























We came home and Himself got onto the phone to our insurance company to arrange to get my windscreen replaced thanks to a truck flicking up a rock which created a 20cm long crack. Meh ... that's what insurance is for.

Sally has been hankering to go to the beach.

So we drove into town and bought a bucket and spade.









She wanted to go in the water but it was way too rough so we went back to the lake.












We came home and she had a bath to warm up. "Thank you Granny, I've had the best day". 



Meanwhile back in Melbourne her baby sister is making her feelings known...




















 

13 comments:

  1. Great day for a little girl! You're welcome to the caves. I went to the Luray caverns in Virginia long ago with husband and son, and they were beautiful, impressive, huge, and no power or husband on earth will get me into a cave again! I did my bit, survived, and didn't spoil their day. Gimme a medal!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think I will be doing these ones again!

      Delete
  2. Ha-ha! Loved that last picture... but the pictures from the cave were great too.
    P.S. How come that beach is covered with golden sand? I much prefer thousands of pebbles. Less messy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Less messy but bloody uncomfortable to lie on.

      Delete
  3. Caves can be magnificent and no, I do not want to visit any more of them. It's just an overwhelming experience- a conundrum of too much and yet not enough, space.
    What a very sweet thing for Sally to say. She's a darling.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have nailed the discomfort that is a cave.

      Delete
  4. Caves are amazing thing to go into and see. The one I remember the most was from South Africa. We had a fantastic guide, when we entered a huge, and I mean HUGE cave he started singing, Wow. As we were a group from Canada we began to sing our national anthem, the acoustics in there were fantastic, the sound made tears come to many of the eyes, mine included.
    Glad Sally had an enjoyable day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Years ago I went to Tasmania with Three and we went into a massive cave and a chap sung Nessun Dorma - it sent shivers up your spine.

      Delete
  5. That baby girl is my soul sister I think:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those are remarkable caves. It's amazing what nature will do given enough time. Sally looks like she's enjoying her bucket and gigantic spade! That last picture is hilarious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She is having a great time. No mention of missing her parents which is wonderful. The fact that those caves are 40 million years young and those things grow drop by slow, slow drop it really is mind blowing.

      Delete
  7. The caves are great! I'll have to see them myself one day, or at least some other caves. We have the Naracoorte Caves here in SA. Love Sally having fun but boy it looks too cold to be paddling in the water.

    ReplyDelete