I didn't post yesterday because I spent most of the afternoon at a rustic rug weaving class and had nothing to talk about and my brain was full and I couldn't even think of a topic to discuss.
Also, said rug had been wet finished and was drying on the line so I couldn't even show you the results of my afternoon's work.
Here it is, in all its glory. The warp is wool and the weft is a blend of alpaca, merino and silk. I think it's called tops but I am not a spinner so I stand to be corrected. Wet finishing felts it so it holds better. It's about the size of a bath mat and I have it on the floor next to the kids' beds. The cats, however, seem to have other ideas so it might end up as a wall hanging. Regardless of its fate I will be trimming the fringe.

This gives you a closer look at the construction. Ashford use leftovers from their fibre lines and then put them all through their carding process to produce this stuff. Consequently it has many colours in it and the warp helps with the finished look, in this case making the greens pop.
Today we walked the dogs the length of the foreshore and back. It was a glorious day.
I love the reflection of the boats in the still lake water.
They are starting to realise that water can be fun.
I started to clean the house after lunch but decided to go with Himself to the dog park. A lovely bunch of people. The house has been dusted, I will vac tomorrow and wash the floors. The Mermaid comes down on Tuesday so I want the place to look nice for her.
Himself bought some hamburger patties from the butcher. Hopefully they will be nicer than the snags. We will have them with bacon, onion, cheese and beetroot (and lettuce and tomato of course).
And that folks, was another day in my life in Lakes Entrance!





How is jinx going. The water looks beautiful. You really did make the best decision to move. Very envious
ReplyDeleteThe weaving looks great Well done
Jinx is on the mend, thanks. You can always come and visit!
DeleteThat's an interesting weaving combo. Noted. I'm guessing you used roving, combed top? I really like this idea, and I can do this, just what I needed, another idea for a project!
ReplyDeleteI did have you in mind, Liz! I think what you have described is correct. It was a lot of fun and worked up really quickly.
DeleteSweet rug!
ReplyDeleteYes. I think all of us here in blogland think you made the right decision in this move.
You have certainly been on the journey with me! Will we, won't we, will we won't we. I am glad we went with will.
DeleteThat's a beautiful, handmade rug. I like handmade.
ReplyDeleteThe dogs look happy in the water. There is a small pond in the dog park, full of muddy water, that Charlie has taken a liking to, so after a walk there, he needs a bath. Sigh.
Our previous dogs loved muddy puddles. These two not as much but they do get muddy paws and Murphy, with his long hair, just gets muddy whatever he does. Being a salt water, tidal lake system they get a bit sandy and that's it.
DeleteThe technique and the end product are interesting. The tassels definitely need shortening.
ReplyDeleteThe water is looking glorious and I hope your burgers were good.
I shall shorten them shortly.
DeleteThe burgers were OK but I think we will create our own in future.
Your husband looks very happy with his doggies....Peta
ReplyDeleteHe is, Peta. And they are a great way to meet people.
DeleteThe rug looks nice, I would be trimming the fringes too. I like the look of the water and I'm glad the dogs are learning to enjoy it.
ReplyDeleteThere was never any intention to leave the fringe long. I just need to find my good scissors. The dogs are really enjoying exploring the water.
Delete