Saturday, 15 July 2023

Settling down

Yesterday was a quiet day. 

I baked a loaf of bread. It tasted OK but looked a bit weird. My old oven had a proofing setting so I am going to have to work out the best place to let my dough rise. And I'm not sure about the oven settings either. All things to figure out over time.

This morning we took the dogs into Lakes for a run at the dog park. Then we walked along the main street and had a doughnut and coffee for breakfast. Himself talks to everyone. Having the dogs always strikes up conversations. 

I then checked out a local market. It was OK but nothing really grabbed me. I would have enjoyed it more with a friend in tow. I might see if any of my Melbourne friends would be interested in sharing a table down the track as it seems to be mainly handcrafts and they have some interesting stuff. 

I have spent the afternoon searching for my weaving equipment and buying some cotton on line because I can't get to my yarn stash (and I don't think I have what I want anyway). I am thinking of weaving some cloth to make small bags and weaving the bands on the inkle. 

Himself has taken himself up to the block with the mower and whipper snipper to tidy it up. He should be home soon and then we start the "what do you want for dinner" game. We had fish and chips last night. Yummy as always.

It was a glorious day today but has now turned quite chilly. 

I am really going to have to work at this retirement living gig. I feel guilty if I am not doing something productive. I think I need to get some pots so I can pretend to garden.

Or I could just sit at the waterfront and just drink in the scenery. 

15 comments:

  1. Definitely drink in the scenery I say.
    It will take a little while to get used to being retired. I’m sure in the end you will even learn to love it

    ReplyDelete
  2. Look out for the swan that nests on a public footpath along the waterside in town.

    I think it wonderful that you have time to sit and relax and time to think about what you should be doing 😉. Just keep on doing that. No need for haste.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are dozens of them - not seen any on the footpath yet.
      You are wise, as always. I shall make a concerted effort to slow down.

      Delete
  3. When you say "drink in the scenery" do you mean look at it or get sloshed in it?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds as if you're ready to consider slowing down to a mad rush! Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. "Pretend to garden" -- ha! Hey, gardening in pots counts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right. And I think most of my gardening will be in pots, even in the new place.

      Delete
  6. I know what you mean about feeling guilty! That's probably why I love motor home life so much, you are on holiday so can relax (without guilt). At home, as long as I get a certain number of jobs done and a meal cooked, I don't feel guilty any more. It's my time :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Funny how we have been conditioned all these years, isn't it?

      Delete
  7. Getting a few potplants helps a little just don't go overboard and have to move too many when your new house is ready. Check to see if your oven has a "keep warm" setting, mine does though I've never seen it on any other oven, that could work for proofing the dough. Or turn the oven on and when it is warm turn it off again, then measure and mix the dough and the oven might be cooled enough by then for proofing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Do women really ever retire?

    ReplyDelete