Thursday, 27 July 2023

Building stuff

I apologise to my non-Aussie readers but this is just a quick post about our builder who is in the news again.

The ABC has been broadcasting that Metricon has been reneging on contracts and asking clients to pay a lot of money to build their homes.

We have just got off the phone with our representative and it makes perfect sense.

Firstly, the ABC are not telling the whole story (no surprises there - media are renowned for that). 

Secondly, when you sign your initial contract with Metricon you are given 365 days locked in on the base price of that home. That supposedly gives the office time to do all the paperwork, planning, engineering etc. Once that stage has been handed over to the build team they don't/can't change the price.

Where problems happen is where land has been bought that hasn't been titled and the time to title has blown out. No builder will be able to honour a price set, in some cases, three years ago and make a profit and, believe it or not, that is their sole reason for being in business. There are other scenarios but that is probably one of the most common and easy to understand.

We are comfortable with our current situation. We are doing our best to get our council permits through asap, we are not dependant on finance, we are not fiddle faddling with the plans (too much) and, above all, we purchased titled land. I don't understand buying untitled land and I certainly don't understand getting into a contract to build on untitled land. Some land being sold still has cows grazing. It is highly possible that something will go pear shaped within 12 months to affect title regardless of what the developer tells you.

In other news, we had lunch at a local cafe and it was amazing.

We walked the dogs this morning and took them to doggy play this afternoon. A lovely bunch of people and dogs - except one dog has taken a distinct dislike to our two. She spent a lot of the afternoon in time out but her owner said she has to learn her manners.

Last night's snags were not the best we've ever had. We aren't really sausage people so when we have them they have to be fantastic. After lunch today, dinner will just be soup and a sanga.

I have a walk I want to do. It involves steep hills and it is my first goal.

Moving here was the best decision.


14 comments:

  1. Good to hear you’re still enthusiastic about the change in lifestyle. I did think of you when I heard the builder’s name….fingers crossed all goes well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think there is an element of tall poppy syndrome here. Metricon are the largest builder in the country.

      Delete
  2. I didn’t even hear anything. I’ve been avoiding news. I’m glad your all sorted. Yes people sometimes get themselves into trouble because they don’t read their contracts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was someone at the dog park who told us. It's not been on commercial stations as far as I can see.

      Delete
  3. That's very interesting about home building. I didn't know that and I will reread it in the morning to clarify it my head. Untitled land does my head in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In the olden days (the '80s) you bought a block that had roads and cross overs and power and sewage and water and all you had to do was pick a house design, pay some money and start building. These days they sell land to fund the development. And I have yet to hear of titles being issued when initially promised. Throw in a council like we have and it really is how long is a piece of string.

      Delete
  4. I didn't know all that about building, all I know is back in July/August 1986 we chose a home design and signed on the dotted line for a house&land package, they took care of everything and we moved in a couple of weeks before Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We did the same, River. Picked a block and a design in January, sold our house and we moved in May.

      Delete
  5. Around here what inexperienced people tend to do is save money on a surveyor, and take the seller's word for the size of their property. It's written up correctly but they don't relate it to the actual back yard. Our next door neighbors in our first house were told that quite a bit of our back yard was their property! They flew into a rage when they found out their mistake. Which was when I cautioned them that they were planting trees on my property. What a downer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Legislation is much tighter here. Land has to be surveyed and titled before you can build. And then they have to resurvey to be sure all is as it is meant to be.

      Delete
  6. It just makes me happy to know that you are so satisfied with this move.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Mary. I hope you work out what you plan to do.

      Delete
  7. Stalker
    It seems to me you have some compulsive features in you DNA Sparks, so you would always have your finger on the pulse…that’s the best thing.
    I have an overload of it to the point when I was out shopping with my sons when they were young there was an appeal from an OC charity, sons told me to give a donation because I would need to access OC help one day
    Stay calm, follow your heart and head . If you have a contract with a locked in price signed sealed a delivered then price can’t change. You can take out an insurance to further protect the build and your money .
    Ignore the naysayers and 👀 on everything 🙏

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are still waiting for the contract but they have 8 months to get it done and as long as the shire don't hold up our permit we should be good to go - with a locked in contract!

      Delete