We took the dogs for a walk. After yesterday's wild and wooly weather it was quite pleasant and the sun was shining. People were out looking at the damage and everywhere we went we heard the buzzing of chain-saws.
Himself wanted new shoes so he took himself off to Karingal to see if Big W had what he wanted. The queues were enormous so he will go through the week. I took the sensible route and said someone should stay home to keep an eye on Murphy. I really want to go to Bunnings but I am not desperate. Or stupid.
Three's in-laws have gone camping in the high country. I imagine the traffic out of Melbourne would have been challenging.
I wonder if this really is the beginning of the end and we will never be locked down again.
* * * * * * * * *
It's turned damp and chilly after a beautiful morning. It is still, though, and the birds sound much happier.
When we moved here we had the roof replaced within the first couple of months. Winter was still many months away. By the end of our first winter Himself was beside himself with the amount of water that flowed under the house and out through the garage whenever it rained. He couldn't work out where it was coming from and nothing he did made any difference. It just kept flooding and bring masses of mud with it. Fast forward to this past week and when the blokes were laying the bricks to edge the driveway we found that the downpipe at the front of the house hadn't been connected to the storm water. Himself rectified this and we wondered if things would improve. After the great storm of 2021 we went down into the garage and it was dry!!! I gently reminded him that I had been wanting to replace the driveway for the last 3 years.
We thought there would be queues at city stores today, but no problem.
ReplyDeleteI kept an eye on traffic last night using Google Maps and roads seemed to be quite clear.
Ah yes, I am via YouTube now an expert on drains. The storm water drain would have ended at a soak away gravel pit. Such drainage causes endless problems. Cheap and nasty building. Gravel drainage pits work well until it rains. Well done Himself.
Does anyone shop in the city anymore? Unless they live there or close by obviously. Karingal has been revamped during lockdown so I guess the great unwashed wanted to explore. Our garage is still dry. woohoo!
DeletePre Covid, yes. Heaps of people and lots of foreign students of course. We always shop for clothes in the city, bedding, towels, many household things. We do buy some clothing in Chapel Street, mainly at the Bonds Outlet store. Perhaps an annual visit to DFO in Moorabbin too. We last went to Chadstone about three years ago and I said 'never again' and so far we haven't.
ReplyDelete