Wednesday, 13 October 2021

Languishing

I was listening to talk back radio and a psychologist referred to "languishing"...

n. the condition of absence of mental health, characterized by ennui, apathy, listlessness, and loss of interest in life.

I had an aha moment. This is what so many people are experiencing at the moment - especially in Melbourne, I feel - and certainly what Himself and I are living with. Apparently it is very common in these Covid times. This article gives an excellent insight into the condition calling it the neglected middle child of mental health between depression and flourishing. Well worth a read. Now I have a name for what I'm feeling but it doesn't make it any easier! I still take my trusty anti-depressants but I don't think there are meds for languishing. The article gives some suggestions for coping with this but it is a challenge. 

12 months ago people were optimistic that we would be out of this pandemic sooner rather than later and everything would return to normal. I don't think we will ever go back to pre-Covid normal for many reasons. We fear more. We trust less. We have seen how vulnerable we are as a species and how impotent we are in protecting our lives and livelihoods. What could have been a great unifying opportunity has caused more division and hate than many would have thought possible. Maybe that's human nature.

Anyway. I did a pie shop at the amazing L'arte in Cranbourne and dropped them off at Three's door. I also bought a bunch of flowers, some muffins and a pretty thing for Sally to hang on her wall. As well as the Sally bag with biscuits, chocolate, a colouring book and scented crayons. As I was leaving the door opened and Sally made a run for me. It was heart breaking to wave her back and hear Three tell her (kindly) to get back in the house. No wonder we're languishing.

Pies for us for dinner as well and the best chocolate brownies ever (from L'arte of course) with vanilla icecream.

2 comments:

  1. I think we will return to the old times pre Covid. Covid will die out as have viruses in the past. I hope it happens within my lifetime.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is so sad re little Sally, it must have been so hard for both of you. Hugs.

    ReplyDelete